ORLANDO, FL. –The number of passengers this 12-day Thanksgiving holiday travel period is expected to reach 1.75 million at Orlando International Airport (MCO). This is the same milestone reached previously in 2019, a record year. The airport anticipates approximately 157 thousand additional passengers over last year or about a 10 percent overall increase.
“Being able to reach our record pre-pandemic traffic numbers, this holiday season, is a reality we didn’t think would happen for several years,” says Kevin Thibault, Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. “Orlando International is ready for the increase. We have the new world-class Terminal C that will help ease overcrowding. There are new systems in place to assist with parking and we have innovative technology and processes in place to enhance the customer experience.”
Airport parking will be a major focus this holiday season. MCO could reach capacity in all of its parking garages and in the North Park Place and South Park Place parking lots. West Park Place, which is only activated during extremely busy periods, will also be operational when all other parking is full. Travelers seeking parking at MCO are advised to monitor the MCO App for the most up-to-date parking information.
|Busiest Projected 2022 Thanksgiving Holiday Travel Days at MCO:|
|1.||Saturday, November 26th||165,100||7.||Tuesday, November 22nd||147,900|
|2.||Saturday, November 19th||161,400||8||Friday, November 18th||147,200|
|3.||Sunday, November 27th||158,500||9||Monday, November 21st||143,300|
|4.||Monday, November 28th||150,900||10.||Friday, November 25th||138,100|
|5||Wednesday, November 23rd||150,600||11.||Tuesday, November 29th||134,000|
|6.||Sunday, November 20th||150,300||12.||Thursday, November 24th||110,500|
Important Holiday Travel Tips at MCO:
- Pack your patience. Record crowds could cause lines at various points throughout your travel journey.
- Allow yourself plenty of time. Arrive inside the terminal at MCO at least 3 hours prior to your flight. This will allow time for any congestion that you may encounter.
- Continuously check the MCO App or social media pages for the latest parking information. To receive the latest parking updates, visit our website at www.OrlandoAirports.net.net or follow us on Twitter @MCO or Facebook @FlyMCO. You can also download our app, Orlando MCO.
- Continuously check the MCO App or social media pages for the latest checkpoint wait times.
- Pack as lightly as possible.
- Adhere to the TSA 3-1-1 rule for gels and liquids at the security checkpoint.
- Do NOT bring guns or weapons through security. Check your bags for prohibited items before coming into the terminal.
- If picking someone up at the airport, please wait in the cell phone lots. Have your party call you when they are ready for pickup from the curb, not before.
- If we have reached parking capacity, please consider using a rideshare program or a taxi.
- Remember, enhanced screening rules mean electronics larger than a cell phone will need to be removed from your bag and placed in a bin at the checkpoint, unless you are in the TSA PreCheck program, but even TSA PreCheck and MCO Reserve passengers may be subject to additional screening.
- TAKE SECURITY SERIOUSLY! DO NOT MAKE JOKES OR LIGHT-HEARTED COMMENTS WHILE BEING PROCESSED FOR A FLIGHT.
- Do not leave bags or packages unattended or accept items from strangers for transport.
- Place identification tags on the outside and inside of checked and carry-on luggage.
- Wear easily removable shoes.
- If traveling with a pet or comfort animal, bring a leash. The pet will need to be on a leash while the animal carrier is properly screened by the TSA.