ORLANDO, FL. – Christmas / New Year’s travel in 2022-2023 at Orlando International Airport (MCO) is projected to rival the busiest holiday seasons prior to the pandemic. In total, nearly three million passengers will move through MCO over the course of the 19-day travel period, which begins tomorrow. The estimated 2,924,474 total passengers marks a 17 percent increase over the same time frame in 2021-2022 when 2.5 million passengers passed through Orlando International.
The busiest travel day this holiday season is predicted to be Monday, January 2, 2023 when more than 162,000 travelers will arrive and depart MCO. The least busy is expected to be Christmas Day with just over 136,000 passengers. Of the 19 days, 15 show a double-digit percentage increase over last year with only December 25 showing a one percent decrease.
|Christmas / New Year’s Estimated Combined Arrivals and Departures|
|1||Mon, January 2||162,354||11||Fri, December 16||154,611|
|2||Thu, December 29||162,118||12||Wed, December 21||154,449|
|3||Fri, December 30||161,581||13||Sat, December 24||154,434|
|4||Fri, December 23||161,218||14||Sun, December 18||150,389|
|5||Mon, December 26||160,811||15||Mon, December 19||148,312|
|6||Tue, December 27||158,579||16||Tue, January 3||145,657|
|7||Thu, December 22||158,430||17||Sun, January 1||143,314|
|8||Sat, December 17||158,089||18||Tue, December 20||141,676|
|9||Wed, December 28||157,154||19||Sun, December 25||136,092|
|10||Sat, December 31||155,206|
Holiday Travel Tips
- Arrive at least three hours before your flight to allow for added parking, ticketing and security screening times.
- Parking could be a challenge. Consider being dropped off and picked up on the curb. When picking up arriving passengers, MCO staff encourages using the airport’s cell phone waiting lots. Travelers should call for pick-up once they have retrieved all of their bags.
- Be prepared for extended waiting periods at any stage along your journey.
- Weapons are prohibited in carry-on bags. Firearms are allowed in checked baggage but must be unloaded and secured in a hard case.
- Do not wrap presents going through security. They may be subject to inspection.
- After going through screening, do not forget to retrieve your personal items. Every holiday season thousands of watches and other items are left at TSA checkpoints.
- Consider signing up for the complimentary MCO Reserve checkpoint reservation program, which allows travelers to select a screening time to avoid possible lines at the security checkpoints.
- Take advantage of digital tools for travel assistance. MCO’s website orlandoairports.net, the MCO app and the TSA website offer updated information and tips for optimizing the holiday travel experience.
As a fun reminder of important travel and packing tips, the MCO Social Media department put together several videos with a seasonal flair. Use the download link below to access the three versions of the video for your unrestricted use. https://we.tl/t-Sd4XJO1IAe
Orlando International Airport (MCO) is managed by the Greater Orlando Aviation Authority. In 2021 MCO ranked 7th in the world serving more than 45 million passengers annually.