ORLANDO, FL.– The first half of 2021 saw Orlando International Airport (MCO) benefit greatly from the lifting of COVID-19 restrictions across the nation. For the first time in over a year, many travelers planned to fly and Orlando was a popular destination. In May, more than 3.7 million passengers flew in and out of MCO while in June the number climbed even higher to 3.8 million.
Year-over-year comparisons are impressive, with May showing a 922 percent increase over 2020 and June registering a 336 percent jump. Orlando International Airport leadership, however, is taking a further look back at the record year of 2019 for a more accurate comparison of how traffic is rebounding. When those numbers are taken into account, at the mid-year point, MCO traffic is down approximately 7.8 million passengers or about 30 percent from 2019 pre-pandemic levels.
Further evidence that COVID-19 impacted air travel globally can be found in the Airport Council International’s (ACI) rankings of airports and their traffic from 2020. Every airport in the top 50, except for Beijing Daxing International, reported double digit passenger declines. In that ranking MCO was the 27th busiest airport in the world.
As 2021 traffic continues to climb, the airlines are taking note and are spurring future growth and optimism with their willingness to expand and resume service into MCO both domestically and internationally. Airlines of note, contributing to the rebound in traffic numbers, include Spirit, Frontier, Viva Air, Avianca and Emirates.
May 2021 Statistical Data:
- Domestic passenger traffic increased 893.66 percent in May to 3,648,500 travelers at MCO
- International volume jumped by more than 6,300 percent with some 126,196 arrivals and departures
- Overall, combined traffic was up 922.65 percent with 3,774,696 travelers at MCO in May
June 2021 Statistical Data:
- Domestic passenger traffic increased by 319 percent in June to 3,665,539 travelers at MCO
- International volume jumped by a mindboggling 13,000 percent from 1,178 passengers to over 156,318 travelers
- Overall, combined traffic was up 336.28 percent with 3,821,857 travelers at MCO in June
The information herein is provided as of the dates specified. Due to the outbreak and continuation of COVID-19 subsequent to the date of such information, the information contained herein may differ materially from the current operational and financial data.